for the KAHAL community
June 19-26, 2023
Tour, learn and experience Bulgaria through a global Jewish lens alongside other college students and KAHAL alumni! Explore Sofia, Bulgaria’s capital city, and get to know the Sephardic Jewish culture. Inside Jewish Bulgaria includes participating in crisis response for Ukrainian refugees, learning about JDC’s work, immersing yourself in the local community, and visiting the third largest synagogue in Europe.
- Explore Jewish communal life for all ages: from Gan Balagan Preschool to the Day Care Center for Elderly, plus spend a meaningful Shabbat experience with members of the Bulgarian Jewish community.
- Participate in the local Jewish community’s response to the Ukrainian refugee crisis.
- Get to know Bulgaria’s Sephardic Jewish culture and its unique history and architecture, including a visit to Europe’s third largest synagogue (Sofiyska sinagoga).
- Enjoy a festive dinner at a traditional Bulgarian restaurant in the capital city, Sofia.
- Discover JDC’s historic role in the region, from responding to the needs of Holocaust survivors to supporting the Jewish renewal efforts for kids, young adults and families.
- Connect with local Jewish organizations and young professional peers who are part of JDC’s model of working in partnership with communities.
- Explore your own Jewish identity through connecting with other KAHAL alumni and college students.
“ Travel carries with it the curse of being at home everywhere and yet nowhere, for wherever one is some part of oneself remains on another continent.”
– Margot Fonteyn
$500 (airfare not included; additional subsidies up to $250 available, based on need)
Local transportation within Bulgaria
Site visits, briefings, tours, etc.
Medical and emergency evacuation insurance
*Please note that your participation fee does not include international airfare. Travel and cancellation insurance is required.
June 19-26, 2023
February 16, 2023
JDC (the American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee or “The Joint”) is the leading Jewish humanitarian organization, working in 70 countries to lift lives and strengthen communities. We rescue Jews in danger, provide aid to vulnerable Jews, develop innovative solutions to Israel’s most complex social challenges, cultivate a Jewish future, and lead the Jewish community’s response to crises. For over 100 years, our work has put the timeless Jewish value of mutual responsibility into action, making JDC essential to the survival of millions of people and the advancement of Jewish life across the globe. Learn more at jdc.org.
The safety and security of our participants is of the utmost importance. To protect our participants and the communities which we visit, JDC Entwine requires proof of COVID-19 vaccination for program participation. Additionally, JDC Entwine will be following rules and regulations set forth by local government officials. Trip participants will agree to abide by all COVID protocols set forth by both governing bodies and JDC Entwine staff and partners. Travel always assumes some risks and participants are aware of the medical risks associated with travel. This trip is subject to COVID protocol updates, changes, and cancellation. Learn more.
Explore more trips
Take in the stunning views of Cape Town from Table Mountain, visit the bustling Oranjezicht market, and soak up in all that this colorful city has to offer.read more
Journey to Finland & Estonia with like-minded young professionals and witness the dynamic reemergence of Jewish life.read more
Journey to Morocco with like-minded young professionals and unravel the complex history of the Jewish community.read more