in partnership with REALITY
Inside Ethiopia: September 1-8 | Inside India: November 17-24
JDC Entwine and REALITY are excited to partner on two 2019 trips: Inside Ethiopia and Inside India! Together with other REALITY alumni, discover the history, culture and landscape of these two countries while exploring ideas around international development and commitment to global responsibility. *Please note that while you can apply for both travel experiences, you will only be accepted for one opportunity.
ETHIOPIA (Sept. 1-8, 2019)
- Explore Ethiopia as the incubator for JDC’s innovative new international development model, supporting the transfer of Israeli agricultural technology to the developing world
- Learn about Ethiopia’s most pressing public health issues with Dr. Rick Hodes, JDC Medical Director & CNN Hero
- Participate in a profound Shabbat experience at the home of Dr. Hodes
- Understand JDC’s historic role in assisting Ethiopia’s Jewish community and current development needs though briefings with JDC global experts
- Discover historical sites in the Gondar region of Ethiopia, including the Jewish villages of Ambober and Teda, the famous Fasilides Castle and the wonders of the Simien Mountains National Park
- Indulge in Addis Ababa’s culture, nightlife and cuisine though traditional coffee ceremonies, injera, folk dancing, art and more
INDIA (Nov. 17-24, 2019)
- Learn about innovative approaches to the challenges of women’s and children’s empowerment, employment, education and public health through visits with JDC partners, SEWA (Self Employed Women’s Association) and Gabriel Project Mumbai, an organization working in the Mumbai-Kalwa slums
- Experience India’s diverse culture and Hindu, Muslim and Jewish traditions though local cuisine, Bollywood music & dance and colorful textiles
- Celebrate Shabbat with Mumbai’s small, but vibrant Jewish communities
- Soak up up the energy of Mumbai, India’s most cosmopolitan city, with visits to the Gateway of India, Banganga Tank, the Mumbai Art District, and more
- Visit the beautiful temples and cultural sites of Ahmedabad, a city in northern India, including Sabarmati Ashram, the spiritual home of Mahatma Gandhi
“I spoke no Hindi and she spoke no English, yet we communicated perfectly with smiles, contributing to each other’s happiness. It was the purest moment of hospitality I have ever experienced.”
– Inside India Participant
$2,000 per trip plus international airfare
(This trip has been generously subsidized in partnership with REALITY. Additional subsidies are not available)
Domestic flights and local transportation within India and Ethiopia
Site visits, briefings, tours, etc.
Medical and emergency evacuation insurance
*Your participation fee does not include international airfare
Application Process: Please note that this is a competitive application process, as we have limited spots available. Factors for selection include but are not limited to: (1) prior personal or business travel to India or Ethiopia, (2) prior travel experience with REALITY outside of Israel and (3) openness to engaging with complexities in the developing world.
Ethiopia: Sept. 1-8, 2019
India: Nov. 17-24, 2019
(GROUND DATES ONLY, does not include international flight)
April 12, 2019
About JDC in Ethiopia
Despite Ethiopia’s relatively high GDP growth in recent years, per capita income remains among the lowest in the world, and well over a third of Ethiopians continue to live below the poverty line. In an economy heavily dependant on agriculture and plagued by frequent droughts, Ethiopians, particularly in rural areas, lack access to basic resources such as healthcare, education, and potable water. JDC began working in Ethiopia in 1983, striving to advance the health and well being of those living in the Gondar region. Providing critical services, including medical care under the supervision of Dr. Rick Hodes, JDC’s Medical Director in Ethiopia for more than two decades, JDC met the needs—both in Gondar and in Addis Ababa—of the successive waves of Ethiopians who’ve immigrated to Israel over the past 30 years.
About JDC in India
India, the world’s fastest growing economy and most populous democracy, is a colorful mosaic of coexisting cultures and faiths. India’s Jews—who trace their roots as far as 2,000 years back—are among them, openly practicing in larger communities in Mumbai and Thane and much smaller ones in cities including Pune, Gujarat (Ahmedabad), Kerala (Cochin), Delhi, Kolkata and the Konkan Villages.Because of India’s huge population and significant poverty, the country’s limited government-run social services are massively overloaded. The Jewish or Bene Israel community lack the welfare infrastructure to meet all of the needs of poor, elderly, and vulnerable Jews among them. JDC, operational in India for over four decades, partners with various local organizations to ensure the development of critical care for Jews in need and a viable future for the community.
REALITY brings inspiring changemakers from around the globe on a transformative journey through Israel to reignite their passion and potential for repairing the world. It is a thought-provoking exploration of one’s leadership capacity and impact on today’s most pressing challenges, with Israel as a complex and motivating backdrop. REALITY is an initiative of the Charles and Lynn Schusterman Family Foundation.
Explore more trips
Journey to Hungary & Latvia to explore the past and present of Europe’s Jewish community.read more
Gain an exclusive pass to Cuba – an island so close in proximity but that remains a mystery to many.read more
Explore Argentina and connect with a group of LGBTQ+ Jewish young professionals.read more