June 8-15, 2020
Rich with history and steeped in tradition, Jewish life in Morocco is alive and well today. Learn about JDC’s impactful programs and work with this small but vibrant community. Join us for the adventure of a lifetime in Casablanca, Fez, Marrakesh & Rabat as you surround yourself with colorful, lively culture and robust interfaith history.
- Explore the ancient Jewish communities and synagogues across the country and visit sites such as the Bahia Palace, King Hassan II Mosque and other landmarks throughout Morocco
- Take in the bustling markets and meander through colorful spice bazaars
- Engage with students that attend the JDC supported Jewish schools: Neve Shalom and Alliance Narcisse Leven School
- Visit with elderly community members in the JDC–supported old age home in Casablanca and learn about what is was like growing up in Casablanca
- Spend Shabbat with a Jewish family in Marrakesh and experience homemade Moroccan cuisine
- Participate in dynamic conversations around the value of global Jewish responsibility
- Immerse yourself in the local culture – sample traditional cuisine, discover the nightlife, explore the country’s art and fashion, and much more!
“Excellent balance between being with the Jewish community and learning about that community as well as learning about the history and culture of Muslim Morocco. Possibly the most meaningful trip I have ever been on.”
– Insider Trip Participant
(This trip has been highly subsidized in order to provide greater access and opportunity. Average actual cost of an Entwine Insider Trip is estimated at $4,500/person)
Local transportation within Morocco
Site visits, briefings, tours, etc.
Medical and emergency evacuation insurance.
*Please note that your participation fee does not include international airfare.
June 8 – 15, 2020
About JDC in Morocco
For the past decade Morocco has enjoyed unprecedented stability under the rule of King Mohammed VI, who remains popular with his people despite developments in the region. The millennia-old Jewish community of Morocco traces itself back to the destruction of the Second Temple and the expulsion from Spain in 1492. Rich with history and Sephardic tradition, Jewish life in Morocco today is strong and dynamic, with some 3,000 Jews living in Casablanca and smaller communities sprinkled throughout the country’s periphery. JDC began working in Morocco in the 1940s, assisting refugees from Nazi Europe who had escaped to Tangier. Throughout the country, JDC partners with and provides critical assistance to local Jewish institutions to help implement a range of relief, education, and community strengthening programs.
Explore more trips
Join us on Discover Ethiopia, A Different Kind of Tripread more
Journey to the Far East to explore the past and present of Singapore’s and Hong Kong’s Jewish communities.read more
Join HUC peers from all four campuses to experience the vibrant Jewish community of India.read more