United Arab Emirates
for young professionals from the Twin Cities and Detroit
October 19 – 25, 2021
The United Arab Emirates (UAE) is one of the world’s fastest growing tourist and business destinations, boasting world-class hospitality, ultramodern infrastructure and a location at the crossroads of the Arab World and Asia. The Jewish community of the Emirates has seen exponential growth in recent years, particularly following the signing of the 2020 Abraham Accords which normalized relations between Israel and the UAE.
Inside Jewish United Arab Emirates is a unique opportunity for Jewish young professionals from the Twin Cities and Detroit area to explore a Jewish community that values coexistence, creativity and inclusivity in a flourishing region.
This trip is made possible with generous support from Penny and Harold Blumenstein, the William Davidson Foundation and the Minneapolis Jewish Federation. It is being run in partnership with NEXTGen Detroit and Jewish Twin Cities Young Adult Leadership Action (YALA).
- Exchange with local Jewish community members to understand the challenges and opportunities of establishing an emerging Jewish community – the first in the Arab world in centuries – and how JDC is helping to support these community building efforts
- Experience Dubai and Abu Dhabi’s unique culture through Emirati hospitality and international influences
- Visit the World Expo 2021, when the world will come to Dubai to create, collaborate and innovate together
- Take in Abu Dhabi’s cultural landmarks – the Louvre Abu Dhabi, the Grand Mosque and Abrahamic House, which houses a synagogue, mosque and church in a single complex
- Revel in Dubai’s gravity-defying architecture including the Burj Khalifa, and its scenic marina, souqs and lively nightlife scene — alongside a group of peers from the Twin Cities and Detroit
“It isn’t how much time you spend somewhere that makes it memorable: it’s how you spend the time.”
– David Brenner
$850 plus airfare
Local transportation within the United Arab Emirates
Hotel accommodations (double occupancy)
Site visits, briefings, tours, etc.
Medical and emergency evacuation insurance
*Please note that your participation fee does not include international airfare. Additional travel insurance is highly encouraged.
October 19 – 25, 2021
Participants should arrive no later than the night of October 18 and depart no earlier than the night of October 25.
August 16, 2021
About JDC in the United Arab Emirates
JDC is working alongside the emerging Jewish community of the Emirates to support its development. In the UAE, these efforts are being carried out through a JDC Entwine Jewish Service Corps Fellow, who is working with the Jewish Council of the Emirates (JCE) to better serve the needs of the Dubai Jewish community as it grows and evolves, strengthen the JCE’s community engagement and communication methods, and design and execute a suite of cultural, social, and educational programming alongside community leaders. This work is part of JDC’s historic work bolstering Jews and Jewish communities in the Arab world including ongoing efforts in Morocco, Tunisia, and Egypt.
The safety and security of our participants is of the utmost importance. JDC Entwine will be following rules and regulations set forth by local government officials. Trip participants will agree to abide by all COVID protocols set forth by both governing bodies and JDC Entwine staff and partners. Travel always assumes some risks and participants are aware of the medical risks associated with travel. This trip is subject to COVID protocol updates, changes, and cancellation.